Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 20 Casper to Lusk, Wyoming 108 Miles with 2524' of Climb

Well we are back on the road today after our 2nd rest day of this adventure with rest day at Casper.  Everyone enjoyed the day washing the bikes, going to the movies, walking around, using the hot tub and pool, taking a nap, washing cloths, etc.

Today were scheduled to load the luggage at 0545 with breakfast at 0600.  We were on the road by 0630 and it was 60 degrees at the start and no wind.  The forecast was for west to northwest winds of 10 to 20 MPH which was in our favor as we were heading east and southeast today.  I rode with Dan and Margo until the 1st sag stop and I took the 1st turn up front for 18 miles as it was easy to keep a steady pace and then we started taking turns.  At the 1st rest stop of the day we filled the bottles got snacks and I took a picture as this was the 1st time this many of the group were at the rest stop at the same time.  After leaving the rest stop we got on Interstate 25 and rode the shoulder for 16 miles.  The wind was blowing out of the west and it was really good to ride 20 -25 MPH down the smooth shoulder.  There was a lot of glass, hunks of rubber and other rocks etc on the shoulder that you had to keep avoiding to keep from running over anything that might give you a flat.  Before we knew it we were getting off at exit 146 and riding the frontage road from here all the way to Douglas.  After getting into Douglas we rode through town and were once again on the frontage road which was nice as there was hardly and traffic and it was pretty smooth.  We road along until we came to the junction of the road that we had to take to go to Lusk.

We went by a rest stop that we have stopped at many times on our way to Thermopolis and Montana.  My wife Sue and my granddaughter Theresa stopped here on there way home after dropping me off in Astoria.  Sue told Theresa that Grandpa would be coming right by this spot.  So I had Margo take my picture at the rest stop and sent a picture mail text to Sue and Theresa.

Another 1 mile after leaving the highway rest stop we had our 2nd stop of the day at mile 65.  It was starting to warm up by this time and the breeze had increased to 15 -20 MPH so it was making the riding really nice and fast.  Once again we snacked filled the bottles, used the facilities and left.  The road to Lusk was on hwy route 18/20.  The shoulder had rumble strips and a small area to ride in that had bumps and depressions that made you really stay alert as you did not want to get your tire in these cracks or you could be in real trouble. We had to ride the way for 20 miles and then it improved somewhat just before we pulled in to the last stop of the day at mile 86, which was at a picnic area next to the road and there tables and shade and the breeze made it feel really good..  The  cut fruit really hit the spot along with pretzels, banana and cookies.  I had a bag of sport beans and I shared them with Alison.  By this time the clouds to the south west were getting darker and it looked like rain so we got on our bikes and left to beat the storm.  We were riding between 20 and 24 MPH and the last 20 some miles flew by and as were getting into Lusk we got a few rain drops. While sitting here doing this blog it is now dark outside and you an hear the thunder outside..

There is supposed to be a parade at 5PM today right by our Motel and then we are scheduled to have a pizza party at 6PM.  We can't eat before then due to the ladies that are making the pizzas are in the parade.


Just for information I weighed 168# before leaving home for my ride.  Yesterday in Casper at the work out center they had a scale and I weighed 161#.  At this rate I will become the incredible shrinking man.  It is hard to eat enough to keep up with the calories that are being burned daily, although I am eating much more than I ever have before.

Tomorrow we are scheduled to Ride 92 miles and enter South Dakota.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tom,
    Really enjoying your posts. I was thinking of you yesterday on some steep hills as you recommended when I bought my bike to go ahead and get the triple crank gear. I have only had to use it a few times but when needed its kept me from having to walk a hill. I can't even imagine the climbs you guys have done.
    Keep up the great posts and have a safe trip. I can't believe you guys are already so far along on your trip.
    Rick F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,
    Your rest day sounded uneventful which was nice. That's the way it should be, relaxing and enjoying the day! I am playing catch-up, the ride did sound relaxing except every now and then you would have some rough areas. I didn't hear anything about any animals or reptiles, so I can presume they were not big enought to mention...lol. Take care. Dan

    ReplyDelete