Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 41 London, Ont to Brantford, Ont. 68 miles with 1385' of climbing.

Today with only 68 miles we ate breakfast at 0630 when the motel breakfast area opened and then we did not load luggage until 0830.  Once again with the shorter mileage the rooms at the other end will not be ready if we get in too soon.  I left right after luggage load and it was cool this morning in the upper 50's.  The wind was out of the ENE today at about 10-12MPH.  This meant that we had a slight head wind as we were going mainly east with some north and some south on the back roads we were on today.

I started out with the group but then I ended up by my self for the 1st 6 miles and then Ann rode up and we talked for about 8-10 miles before she was warmed up and took off.  I then continued by myself until about mile 25 and I could see he Swiss boys catching up to me and when they arrived I joined them and we rode the last 8 miles together into the 1st and only rest stop for the day. The mileage was listed at 66 but we had a detour due to a bridge being out and this added about 2 more miles to the route than we had on our cue sheets. We pulled into the rest stop and Toronto Mark's wife had baked cookies and they were waiting there at the sag for us.  Also there were left over Pecan Pies from yesterday and they were cut in half and we ate some of each.  There was also a cheese place the Toronto Mark's Uncle and Aunt had brought and it was also enjoyed by all.  I filled the water bottles up and took off by myself once again as the Swiss boys were still at the sag stop.  I rode by myself from mile 36 to around mile 62 and once again the Swiss train was catching me as I was watching them in my mirror and I saw them turn left into a store so I did a U turn in the middle of the road and joined them and we took some photos and then went in and got some lunch to snack on.  We purchased our food and went outside and they had picnic tables on the grass and we ate there.  It was starting to cloud up and the forecast called for showers in the afternoon.  It was not around lunch time and we took off to beat the rain.  We got into town and found the motel and did not get wet.  After arriving into the Motel the local media, (newspaper) was there and they spoke with Daniel and asked if they could interview them and he looked my way and said talk to him, meaning me.  I spoke with the lady from the local paper and answered her questions and then they took pictures.   They also spoke with 2 other riders, so not sure who or what will be in the paper or online.  The web site is WWW.brantnews.com.  If anyone wants to look tomorrow and see which pictures or article they will use, I will look also just for curiosity.

After we unloaded the luggage it started to rain and some of the riders today got wet.  We were fortunate to beat the rain today and tomorrow it is back in the US.  We go to Niagara Falls and then have a rest day. This will give everyone including myself to see and do the tourist things there.  I have never been there so it will be another new place and another new state tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. The new jersey looks great. Those low temperatures are hard to imagine. Have FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has got to have been one of the many highlights of your journey. Up front and personal, your picture was in the Brant News. I will take my computer to coffee and share with the guys tomorrow. How thoughtful of the friends/relatives of the bikers make snacks for everyone. Homemade cookies really hit the spot. Pictures and Jersey's were great looking and really stood out in the newspaper article. Take care and looking forward to tomorrow's journey report.

    ReplyDelete