Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 24 Wall, SD to Pierre, SD 118.8 miles with 3961' of climbing.

Today we had an early start with luggage load at 0515 and breakfast at 0530 at a restaurant 2 blocks away.  The day started out with 71 degrees and a stiff wind from the north.  While riding to the restaurant it started to rain a little, but by the time everyone was done eating it had quit.  We were on the road at 0615 and had a steady cross wind as we were riding straight east.  The terrain was pretty much the same all day with big rolling hills, wheat fields, corn fields, cows, horses and the roads all day were covered in grasshoppers.. 

Today we had a poker run to make it fun and everyone put in one dollar and you got one card at luggage load and one card at each of the 3 rest stops for the day.  Then tonight at rap they will draw one card and everyone will use this along with the 4 cars collected today to make the best and worst hands.  The pot will be split between the best and the worst.  I am writing this before rap so not sure who has what.

The 1st 30 miles went by fast with small rolling hills and 25 MPH cross winds.  We filled the bottles and snacked and it was on down the road to the next stop which was at mile 56.  At the second stop we had peanut butter and jelly sandwich as there was not any place to eat and due to the long day.  Yesterday at rap they told us that if the wind was out of the north as it was predicted,  the turn out of his rest stop was straight north for 20 miles.  The wind was blowing at a steady 25 MPH with gusts over 30MPH.  We formed groups to help  fight the wind and I ended up with the 2 Swiss guys, Alex and Beth.  We rode along at 10MPH and it was really a struggle in this king of a wind.  Every time a truck came by it changed the wind speed and took your bike into the driving lane.  I rode with them for 9 miles and got a cramp in my foot that I could not work out so I dropped off and got off my bike and worked it out.  By the time I got back on the bike the group I was with was long gone without me.  I rode the next 11 miles in this headwind by myself and if that won't  test you  mentally, then nothing will.  I was never so glad to see the turn at mile 20 as we once again had a cross wind and it was really a relief after grinding away at 8MPH for over 2 and one half hours.  The 3rd rest stop was at mile 83.5 and what a welcome site.  It was nice to get off the bike and sit on the picnic tables at the roadside park we were at and relax.  They had fresh cut watermelon and it really hit the spot.  Once again we filled up the bottles and hit the road for the last 32 miles of the day.  As we got closer to Pierre there were more grasshoppers on the road and when you rode over them it was a constant crunching sound.  The luggage truck was waiting along the road with 15 miles to go and we got our water bottles filled up again, as it was getting hot by this time.

The last stretch was a challenge as the big trucks going by really gave you a wind blast and if you did not have both hands on the bars it would blow you sideways.  We then could see the town of Pierre and the Missouri River.  We knew we had it made when we crossed the river and saw the time zone change sign in the middle of the bridge. 

The motel was a welcome site today and It was one of the most challenging days I have had on my bike.  I was on my bike riding for 7' 45" today.  At dinner tonight it was a 2 to 1 vote for the Teton Pass climb than the 20 Miles into the wind today.   That tells you something when you want to climb 4 miles at 10% in altitude than 20 miles in a 25-30 MPH wind.

Tomorrow marks the 25 day of our ride and we reach the halfway point on our mileage after the 1 sag stop tomorrow.  It is really amazing that it is going by so fast.  The days all run together and if someone asks what day it is, the only way I know is to look at my watch.

Today was truly a test of endurance and mental toughness to keep going in the wind.  I am glad today is over because I am very tired and looking forward to a good nights sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Your story for today was filled with challenges after challenges but you made it through them with flying colors. Ouch, the cramp in the foot was not fun but you did just great with the wind and all. I really enjoyed the morning sunrise picture! Your doing great and I am looking forward to reading about your journey tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete