Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 39 Birch Run, Mi. to Port Huron, Michigan 88 miles with 680' of climbing

Today we woke up and it was in the Fifty's for a temperature, quite a change from yesterday's start in the 80's.  We ate breakfast as 0600 and luggage load was at 0700 and we were on the road At 0710.  We had a slight NNW wind which was helping when we went south and crosswind as we were going east.  The roads were once again rural with many small farms, with corn and soybean fields with an occasional dairy farm.  The terrain has looked the same for the last 2 days and I have not taken many pictures along the route today.  I did take some at the water today, but the Internet connection was taking too long to load the images so I gave up on posting pictures today.

The 1st rest spot of today was at mile 26 and it was located at an artesian well next to the road.  The water there was really cold and tasted like well water.  I filled my bottles up with the water there and got a snack and then on the road once again..  I had trouble with my gamin not turning on today, so I did no have my heart rate monitor working and everything else I normally watch, grade of the hill, direction and many other things.  I asked another rider if he ever had trouble with his and he said yes and gave me a suggestion to try.  I did this and bingo it came on and started to work.  I was glad to get it back as I ride by what my heart rate is reading, if it gets too high then I back off, so was glad to have this in operation once again.

The second stop was in the town of Yale in the city park and it was really cool with a nice breeze and a great place to take a break from the bike.  The town of Yale claims to be the bologna capital of the USA and they have a museum here, but I did not go and see it.  I don't eat bologna, so the history did not interest me. 

After leaving the second rest stop at mile 62 we had 26 miles to go and the wind by this time had switched around and was a slight headwind from the northeast.  We had to ride into it until we turned to the south at mile 78.  It was then nice to have the breeze at your back and the speed went up over 20MPH and the miles started to fly by.  We then came to another left turn and we went to the water and stopped and looked at the other side of the water and they have an American flag and Canadian flag at both shores of the water.  We also saw the long bridge we will be going over tomorrow, which is 6128' long and most days 14,000 cars pass over it.  They are going to shut down the bridge for us tomorrow and we get to ride over without any motor traffic on it.  This should be really neat, can't wait for this part of the ride tomorrow morning.  We have to get our passports ready for the arrival into Canada tomorrow.

I will try and upload pictures later today or it may be tomorrow before I can load them.

1 comment:

  1. I was glad your garmin got to working again. The ride today appeared to be a smooth ride with the wind at your back part of the time. I think the bridge ride will be really something. I cannot believe they are closing down the bridge for you all to cross. I can see why you are excited about the event. Take care and your doing just great! Looking forward to some Canadian pictures.

    ReplyDelete