Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 33 La Crosse to Wisconsin Dells, Wi. 91 miles with 2712' of climbing

The day stated out foggy with a slight chance of rain in the afternoon.  The big storms were south of us.  We

We ate breakfast at 0630 and loaded luggage at 0700.  I was on the road by 0710 and rode with Rick leaving town.  We passed many nice homes along the hillside and a nice golf course that really looked in great shape.  The miles passed by and it was still overcast and 72 degrees.  At about 8 miles out of town we felt a few rain drops but they didn't bother us as the humidity was so high, our jerseys were damp from our sweat.  We stopped and took pictures of pretty flowers along the road that had a truck garden behind it.  We then came to the 1st rest spot of the day at mile 27 which was in the town of Sparta, Wisconsin.  They had signs everywhere saying they are the bike capital of the USA.  We were going to get on the Elroy Sparta Trail that went for 34 miles with 3 tunnels along this route.  It is an old railroad road bed that had been turned in to a hike and bike trail.  We were told last night that the 3 tunnels that we had to go through were completely dark and we would need a flashlight.  We also had to walk our bikes in the tunnels as the surface is uneven and wet.  It is amazing how dark these tunnels are without any artificial light.  Just before arriving at tunnel #1 we could feel the temperature drop 20 degrees and the water was flowing on both sides of the trail we were on.  When we got to the tunnel Steve took some pictures and then we turned out lights on and started the walk of 3810' through one.  After what seemed like a long time we could see the lite at the end of the tunnel and we were done with #1.

We then continued on the trail and came to tunnel #2 and the same drill.  Get off turn on the light and walk Then on the trail again to #3 and the same thing over again.  I did not mention it but the trail was a hard packed dirt and cinder in spots.  It wasn't too bad riding our road bikes on this path but they really got dirty for all the dirt, mud and water dripping in every tunnel. 

We then came to the end of the trail and we had our second rest stop of the day at mile 61.  I filled my bottles up and ate some cookies and other snacks and I took off by myself.  Margo who I have been riding with on a number of days had sagged to the 2nd rest stop as she doesn't go through tunnels.  She took off and said that she would ride slow and I would catch her down the road as she needed to warm up before getting into a rhythm I could see her in the distance and then there was a big hill that kicked up to 11% for 1/2 mile.  She out climbs me and I never saw her again until the motel.  After topping the hill I came to a T in the road and took a left instead of a right which the cue sheet said.  The only problem was I did not realize that I took the wrong turn for 5 miles.  By this time I came to a town that was not on our cue sheet.  I then looked at the sheet and realized where I had taken the wrong turn.  I had to go back 5 miles with a headwind the whole way and finally got back on the correct route. It was warm by this time and the humidity was very high.  I was drinking my bottles down by this time and when I saw Jim in the support van at a cemetery I filled my bottles up once again and off I went for home with 11 miles to go.  I rode the rest of the way and got off route again coming in to Wisconsin Dells.  I got to the bottom of the hill and saw a tourist information sign on the right in a gas station.  I got a chocolate milk and asked the lady behind the info desk which way to the Best Western.  She said next light down on the left side of the road.  I was never so glad to see the end of today as my legs by this time were getting really tired.  By the time I got to the motel my odometer said 101.4  I had ridden another century today.  I got my room key and it was just in time to help with the luggage unload.

They gave us rags and told us where the hose was so we could clean our bikes up.  I did this and then showered did some laundry and then we had rap for tomorrows route and went to dinner

It had been a long day, but the miles are always good to increase the Bike Journal miles, (this is where I log my miles for the year and it all adds up toward my goal of 10,000 miles for this year on my bike.

1 comment:

  1. Another wonderful and interesting ride! I thought the tunnels were really neat to go through. Sparta, Wisconsin being the bike capital of the USA, who could ask for more! Oops on the wrong turn, etc. I would imagine you were tired since you added aditional miles to the trip for the day. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete