Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 30 Worthington t Mankato, MN. 103 miles with 1312' of climbing.

Todayy we loaded luggage at 0545 and went to Perkins Restaurant for breakfast at 0600.  We got done eating at 0620 and were on the road.  The temperature was about 68 degrees and the wind was out of the west south west at about 8MPH.  The sky's were overcast and the clouds looked like we could get rain once again today.  The forecast was 30% chance of morning showers in Worthington and 30% chance of showers in the afternoon in Mankato.  Everyone packed their raincoats again today in case we did get some rain.  It was one of the best days I have every had for riding 100+ miles.  Good roads, lite tail wind and little traffic.  We rode and the miles really went by in a hurry.  We had 3 rest stops today at 30, 67, and 90.  We really did not need the one at 90 because of the cloud cover and the sun only peeked out occasionally.  I put my sunglasses on and off many times throughout the day.  I rode by myself for the 1st 15 miles and many riders passed me and said good morning on your left as they went by.  I was saving some energy for later on as 100 miles can be long if you start too quickly and burn yourself out.  At the 1st stop I snacked and filled the bottles up but I was carrying 2 peanut butter and honey sandwiches, cliff bars and hammer gel so I did not need to get much at the rest stops.  We were riding in small groups and John, Margo and Myself rode along with Helen joining us a couple of times during the ride. After the second stop I filled the bottles ate one of my sandwiches, went into the gas station and bought a V8 and drank that.  Margo and I left and after about 1.5 miles out of town John joined back up with us.  Then Michael and Matt on the tandem came by and Beth was riding behind them and motioned for me to join them.  I got on their wheel and the next 22 miles flew by as we were going a steady 23 MPH.  After the 3rd stop we again filled the bottles and Michael, Matt and Beth went to Dairy Queen and got something to eat.  I hooked up with John and Margo again and rode the last 10 miles into Mankato with them,

We got to the hotel, got our rooms, unloaded luggage, and John and I went and got something to eat.  It was then time to take a shower and now while doing this blog I am watching the recap of the Tour De France.

Tomorrow we have another 100+ mile day and we go to Rodchester, MN.

1 comment:

  1. While it may have been over 100 miles, you flew across the country side. Really great ride! I am glad you didn't get any rain and the roads were great! Let's cross our fingers that tomorrow will be a rain free day! Take care and thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete